incubator-general mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <m...@leosimons.com>
Subject Re: (in)appropriate wiki use
Date Wed, 18 Jan 2006 09:26:39 GMT
On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 10:15:23AM +0100, David N. Welton wrote:
> Leo Simons wrote:
>
> >>From an incubator point of view, one other alternative mechanism to "edit
> > on wiki, e-mail to list" would be "send to list, add to SVN, submit patches
> > to mailing list, commit patches to SVN, send to list". This is a bit more
> > of a learning curve for people not yet used to working so extensively with
> > centralized version control, but its not neccessarily bad -- we want people
> > to learn that anyway.
>
> Keep in mind that with the Incubator, perhaps only one or two people
> might already have access to subversion.

Hmmm.

There's well over a hundred people with write access to the parts of incubator
SVN where such stuff would live. If there's not enough of those people willing to
handle the "apply patch" workload for this kind of stuff then we should really be
putting that "the incubator is currently closed" sign up. If the people sending in
proposals are not willing to take the "generate patch" workload then that's one
reason to reject a proposal outright.

Yep, a little barrier to entry for sure, but it might be a nice and useful
"mechanized" one without a lot of the "social engineering pain" of "policy".

Just a thought :-)

LSD