incubator-general mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposal for OFBiz to Join the ASF
Date Tue, 17 Jan 2006 13:05:00 GMT
On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 09:00:06AM +0800, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Friday 13 January 2006 04:27, David E. Jones wrote:
> > As I understand it in order to become a top level project the Board ?
> > must be the sponsor, which is why the proposal was written that way. ?
>
> That is a misconception. For projects targetting top-level, EITHER the Board
> or the Incubator PMC must sponsor.
> Board doesn't like to sponsor, and do so only in exceptional cases. So the
> Incubator PMC is the right folks to address. (And probably why you get the
> "What is this doing here?" response from the Board.)

When it showed up at the Board level, it was a request for OFBiz to
"join the ASF", which isn't quite the way things are done :-)  And
that's why I was confused on why the proposal was sent to the Board.
It didn't ask for us to sponsor their entry to the Incubator or
anything like that. And it was LONG email. So even more of, "euh. why
am I supposed to read this? what's the question or need?"

I'm finding myself in surprising agreement with Niclas :-) Yes,
projects "destined for TLP status" should generally be sponsored by
the Incubator PMC itself. That PMC will then (at the appropriate time)
send a resolution to the Board to establish a new TLP for the
incubated project upon graduation.

The basic rationale is that the Board doesn't really want to be
involved with technical choices, selections of codebases, and things
like that. If the Board is going to "sponsor" a project, it is really
more of an "order" to the Incubator to accept a particular project. It
will usually be done for strategic purposes, such as our decision that
the ASF should get involved with creating a certified, Apache-licensed
J2EE codebase (thus, the Geronimo project was born). That kind of
high-level choice is going to (necessarily) be rare, so projects
should come to the Incubator PMC or one of the other PMCs at the ASF.

Cheers,
-g

--
gstein@apache.org ... ASF Chairman ... http://www.apache.org/