incubator-general mailing list archives

From Martin Cooper <mart...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] AJAX Toolkit Proposal - Updated
Date Tue, 17 Jan 2006 21:00:10 GMT

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006, Andrew Clark wrote:

> Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
>> I see .java files - that has nothing to do with AJAX,
>> so I'm sort of confused.  I'd be expecting to see, well,
>> only JavaScript.
>> [...]
>> If it has .java files, it isn't a 'client library'.  So,
>> I want to make sure we clarify where the boundaries are,
>> so stupid people like me can make calls as to whether
>> there's scope creep or not.
>
> Without communication to the host server, AJAX is just
> JavaScript in a web page. So there is a natural tendency
> to have server-side infrastructure to complete the AJAX
> programming model.

While some AJAX toolkits do include server side code (e.g. Zimbra, DWR),
others do not (e.g. Prototype, Dojo). There are pros and cons on both
sides. You've detailed some of the advantages of providing it; the main
down side would seem to be that it could slow adoption by those who are
building their web apps with other server side languages, or even dissuade
them from using it. Of course, you could always add support for other
languages as well, assuming there are no ties to Java.

My 2 cents.

--
Martin Cooper