incubator-general mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <>
Subject Re: ajax proposal?
Date Thu, 05 Jan 2006 09:38:52 GMT

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006, Martin Cooper wrote:

> On 1/4/06, Sanjiva Weerawarana <> wrote:
> >
> > So .. amidst all of our soul searching .. what'd we decide to do with
> > the Ajax proposal from IBM et al.?? Did I miss the vote and decision??
> Personally, I would prefer that the ASF not accept _any_ AJAX framework at
> this point in time. The area is relatively new and in a great deal of flux
> right now, and "crowning" one of them with the ASF brand will create a de
> facto standard instead of letting the market decide, whether we like it or

We are part of that market - and I have no illusions about our ability to
set standards; we canot; we ONLY seem to do so when we happen to a) to
jump on the boat with the right technology and b) get the market to play
in our playground. (Marginally helped of course by the fact that so many
talented peopel and companies come to play here that we do set the odd's
for 'a' and have 'b' causal).

If your argument is that the quality of Zimbra code is relatively low; or
too immature by itself - and that is why you worry about spoiling the
market by betting on the wrong horse - then we should simply reject -this-
proposal based on the fact that there is a) not enough quality in the
donation and b) no hope for it to improve in our playground.

But in general - having the ASF offer it's eco system a place where we all
can work on Ajax (and have synergy with all the portal code we have, with
MyFaces^H^H^H^H^H^HOurFaces) seems like the right thing to do -when- there
are sufficient people interested to work on it. Which is the right
validating feedback loop.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message