incubator-general mailing list archives

From "David E. Jones" <jone...@ofbiz.org>
Subject Re: OFBiz Marketing and Services
Date Thu, 19 Jan 2006 19:41:23 GMT

This isn't a problem at all. That is an area that we have tried to
make more clear over time, ie that Undersun does not own nor have any
exclusive relationship with the OFBiz project. This is actually one
thing that I really like about the potential OFBiz/ASF relationship:
it clarifies this separation.

In the past the only reason we have charged something and had certain
requirements for being listed was to make the list more useful to
"consumers" of the list (ie a smidgeon of quality control), but this
really isn't much and I have no problem with removing the money
requirement and revising any other requirements (or perhaps make them
more "guidelines" or something), and of course through SVN make it
possible for others in the core committer group to be able to modify
it as needed.

I appreciate the feedback and agree that this is a page that needs to
have some changes. That may be true of other pages, and perhaps the
layout and such of the ofbiz.org site in general, and if so that's
fine (it's needs some beautifying and reorganization in certain areas
anyway...). In a way I'd also like to make some very clear changes to
the site as we go through the incubation process to make it clear
that while our approach has been pretty similar to the ASF philosophy
in the past, we are very serious and public about moving even more
(and all the way) in that direction.

This might be better as a general discussion or a discussion for
another board/list, but has a more structured service/product/etc
provider database ever been considered for Apache in general? We have
considered this in the past for OFBiz to have better information
maintained by the companies/individuals themselves to show the areas
of expertise, live sites or clients they have worked with,
relationship and contributions to various projects, and so on.

-David