incubator-general mailing list archives

From "David E. Jones" <>
Subject Re: Proposal for OFBiz to Join the ASF
Date Fri, 13 Jan 2006 05:24:28 GMT

On Jan 12, 2006, at 6:00 PM, Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> On Friday 13 January 2006 04:27, David E. Jones wrote:
>> As I understand it in order to become a top level project the Board
>> must be the sponsor, which is why the proposal was written that way.
> That is a misconception. For projects targetting top-level, EITHER
> the Board
> or the Incubator PMC must sponsor.
> Board doesn't like to sponsor, and do so only in exceptional cases.
> So the
> Incubator PMC is the right folks to address. (And probably why you
> get the
> "What is this doing here?" response from the Board.)

Yes, that would explain it... I'll adjust our proposal to mention
both as options.

So, I guess the most likely and preferred option is the Incubator
PMC, so we'll hope for more comments from PMC members. I just read
through the Incubator PMC list and it looks like Yoav Shapira is on
it, which is great since he was interested in this early on and has
volunteered to champion this proposal.

> Anyway.
> I am also quite intrigued by this proposal. OFBiz has been on my
> radar for
> quite a few years, but never got into any active work I am doing.
> However, I am currently working on a "competing product" which I
> think would
> benefit from being based on something like OFBiz instead of "all in-
> house"
> development. I think the company in question would also benefit is
> some of
> the generic stuff is pushed out into OFBiz, to lower the man power
> requirement. After all, this company doesn't sell the underlying
> technology,
> they sell the end-user system, totally customized for a particular
> company.
> I am in favour of bringing this to ASF, and would also like to
> assist in the
> incubation process.

Thank you for your comments. It's great to see interest and support
for moving in this direction.

View raw message