incubator-general mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Is there a "no graduate" option?
Date Thu, 22 Dec 2005 22:55:42 GMT
On 12/22/05, Justin Erenkrantz <justin@erenkrantz.com> wrote:
> --On December 22, 2005 3:26:57 PM -0500 Rich Bowen <rbowen@rcbowen.com>
> wrote:
>
> > As I look through the list of projects in the incubator, trying to figure
> > out where I can be useful, I notice several projects that have been in
> > the incubator for a LONG time.
> >
> > Which got me thinking ... is there a graceful exit option? I see on the
> > list that one project is listed as a "Failed incubation", which seems
> > really harsh. Is there an option for "You're very nice, but you just
> > don't fit at the ASF"?

interesting: i can't really see this happening for any project that
entered the incubator with the right spirit (it's tough being
rejected).they just tend to fade away.

but perhaps you were thinking of projects who entered with the wrong
spirit and refused to change. i'd hope that this would be an oversight
issue and would be dealt with appropriately by the incubator pmc.

> > Or is it assumed that the two options are
> > "Graduate" and "Keep trying."
>
> It takes as long as it takes.
>
> The only requirement I have is that there is a continued effort towards
> attracting community.  If a project goes completely dormant (i.e. no
> traffic whatsoever), then yes it can fail and should be terminated.
>
> However, placing arbitrary limits on the Incubation period is the opposite
> of what we want to achieve.  It would "force" a community to meet
> artificial deadlines when that may be the worst thing we could do.

+1

but it would be a very good idea to have some sort of process for
domancy: no development for even a month should ring alarm bells and
call for either active intervention (if there is still a community) or
a move to dormacy.

- robert