incubator-general mailing list archives

From Cliff Schmidt <cliffschm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Is the incubator out of control?
Date Thu, 22 Dec 2005 07:21:47 GMT
On 12/21/05, Ian Holsman <lists@holsman.net> wrote:
> Ted Leung wrote:

> >> And we require disclaimers and clear notice that projects ARE in the
> >> Incubator.  Look at how the folks are complaining that we are trying
> >> to make
> >> the projects look different by being in the Incubator.  They ARE
> >> different.
> >> And they MUST be Incubator branded, and follow Incubation rules.
>

> > Most people in the world are unaware of the difference between an
> > incubated project and an Apache project.  Roy has also stated that once
> > a project is in the incubator it ought to be regarded as an Apache project.
>
> that can be easily resolved.
> you start up another domain say 'theincubator.org' or something 'proving
> grounds' related and make sure it has no apache branding, and that no
> project or PR firm can mention apache there.

Although I'm not sure we should take that step right now, I don't
think that's such a crazy suggestion.  I do believe we should rethink
the branding of incubating project:

Today, we complain that corporations working on incubating projects
are taking advantage of the Apache brand.  We wonder why the press and
public aren't aware of the distinction of incubating projects, and yet
we *require* these projects always preface their name with the same
master brand we use on fully endorse projects, "Apache".

We can't keep a low bar for incoming incubating projects and allow for
this confusion.  We may indeed need a multibrand strategy when it
comes to incubating projects.

Cliff