incubator-general mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Starting a java specs project
Date Tue, 27 Dec 2005 16:42:47 GMT

One idea was to collate them as a part of Jakarta.

My aim for Jakarta is to either promote subprojects to TLP or flatten them
into Jakarta Commons, leading to a non-umbrella Jakarta (I know, you
didn't think you'd see it in your lifetime). This new Jakarta would
have the potential to serve two roles:

1) Place for Java@Apache to share conversation [general@jakarta]
2) Place for Java@Apache to share code [Jakarta Commons]

Storing the spec source there would be good for everyone I think; it would
help bring people to Jakarta to share code and conversation, and the
Commons community would make good stewards for the code if the various
owners departed.

Some other pluses are that it would help be a part of an attempt to
rejuvenate Jakarta in 2006 (as a kind of federation) and that non-JCP
specs could be stored there too.

Not trying to intrude on the JCP stuff though, so I can see if it's
preferred to keep things under a strictly JCP-oriented environment.

Hen