incubator-general mailing list archives

From Adam Peller <apel...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: AJAX Toolkit Framework Proposal
Date Tue, 20 Dec 2005 18:58:23 GMT
Sylvain -

Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>So the questions are:
>- is the ASF the place for Eclipse extensions? I don't deny the ability
>to _existing_ project to host their tooling, but this isn't the case here.

The framework is composed of tools that happen to use Eclipse for a
runtime, much like Java-based projects use a JVM.  As Sam stated, hopefully
it's the function that's of interest more than the platform, though I can
understand that this is not a typical proposal. The framework is only one
component of the project; runtime libraries and other AJAX-based utilities
(not tied to Eclipse) can find a home here also.

>- why incubate an Ajax library that none of the current ASF projects
>uses nor plans to use, unless I missed something?

What we hope to achieve is to form a community around AJAX. The tools we
put forth, we believe, will be helpful contributions towards that
community, but others are welcome. AJAX is likely to indirectly drive
Apache-based servers, and direct integration between AJAX and existing
Apache projects is certainly possible -- MyFaces is one such example.
Already we are building on top of integrated support for Tomcat to support
J2EE-based projects, and providing extensible tooling is key to the
architecture, so we should look for more integration points.

As for Dojo, we're very impressed with the project also.  The tooling
framework we offer is extensible and even comes with tooling to create the
tooling -- something I didn't get into in the proposal, but it's basically
a wizard-driven UI to make it easier to get at least basic support for
toolkits.  Custom features would require real coding.

-Adam