incubator-general mailing list archives

From Adam Peller <apel...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: AJAX Toolkit Framework Proposal
Date Tue, 20 Dec 2005 17:48:09 GMT
Hi Martin.

Although I confess to know little about MyFaces, I'd imagine your AJAX
components could work well within our tooling environment and that custom
extensions to support them are possible.  Out of the box (or with minimal
effort, at least) you should get some integrated JS support in JSPs, have
access to a debugger, snippets, and some other generic web tooling.  What
other sorts of tooling on the client do you think might help the MyFaces
project?

Also, perhaps some cross-polination with other toolkits, such as Zimbra and
Rico, could prove helpful, whether code is used directly or if just some of
the patterns prove useful?

Regards,
Adam

             Martin Marinschek
             <martin.marinsche
             k@gmail.com>                                               To
                                       general@incubator.apache.org
             12/20/2005 09:54                                           cc
             AM
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: AJAX Toolkit Framework Proposal
             Please respond to
                  general

I'm very interested in this.

Even though I am not an Apache member (so no potential mentor ;) I'd
be very interested in what this project means for the Apache
MyFaces-javascript and AJAX integration.

regards,

Martin

> Adam
>
> I offer to help mentor this.
>
> Paul
>

> --
> Paul Fremantle

> paul@wso2.com

> On 12/20/05, Adam Peller <apeller@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> >
> > AJAX Toolkit Framework Proposal
> >
> > 0.  Rationale
> >
> > While the term AJAX (Asynchronous Javascript and XML) has only recently
> > been coined, the underlying web standards and technologies (JavaScript
> > a.k.a. ECMAScript, DOM, XML, SOAP, and so on) have been around for
years.
> > Although the term is used in a variety of ways, AJAX typically
describes
> > techniques towards developing interactive applications on the web
client
> > including asynchronous messaging, use of XML grammar in client-side
> > applications, incremental page updates, and improved user interface
> > controls. AJAX applications combine the rich UI experience of
programmed
> > clients with the low-cost lifecycle management of web-based
applications.

> > AJAX has raised awareness of the high potential of web applications, it
> > has
> > encouraged companies to adopt rich web-based interfaces over
traditional
> > "fat" clients, and it has spawned development activity to create
toolkits
> > and abstractions to make AJAX-style development easier and more
powerful.
> > This is an important trend for open source.  The client itself can be
> > composed entirely of open-source parts, such as Mozilla's Firefox or
KDE's
> > Konqueror, and does not require any particular operating system,
helping
> > make a more level playing field for all development.  More importantly,
> > AJAX is back-end agnostic as transactions are done over HTTP.  Keeping
the
> > client open forces vendors to keep the communication channel open as
well,
> > and this can only continue as long as the client technology keeps pace
> > with
> > proprietary alternatives.  The open, standards based communications
> > channel
> > is what drives many technologies inside Apache, so success of the open
> > client is vital to Apache.  The mission of this project is to encourage
> > innovation around enterprise-strength client runtimes and tools and
build
> > community which can select and nurture a select set which will be most
> > beneficial to the web.
> >
> > 0.1 Criteria
> >
> > Meritocracy:
> >
> > Apache was chosen for an incubator primarily because of the guidance
the
> > community can provide.  The two subprojects put forth are among the
first
> > attempts to formalize this style of development.  Additional ideas,
tools
> > or entire runtimes may come forward and indeed would be welcomed to the
> > project, either wholesale as new subprojects or incorporated into the
> > existing code.
> >
> > Community:
> >
> > The contributed work was inspired by open source development but needs
> > strong and diverse community to validate its mission and carry it
forward.
> > A primary objective of the project is to build a vibrant community of
> > users
> > and active contributors.
> >
> > Core Developers:
> >
> > All of the initial committers are members of Zimbra and IBM development
> > teams.  All developers have worked on open source projects before and
have
> > experience and understanding of open source principles.
> >
> > Alignment:
> >
> > Initial implementation consists of two sub projects.
> >
> > The AJAX Toolkit Framework will provide a strategic framework for
> > Interactive Development Environments (IDEs) for the many different AJAX
> > toolkit offerings in the market. It provides a rich set of tools for
the
> > AJAX / DHTML developer including: a JavaScript editor with edit-time
> > syntax
> > checking; Mozilla web browser; integrated DOM browser; integrated
> > JavaScript debugger; and wizards and development aides tuned to
specific
> > libraries and toolkits.  The Framework is extensible to support other
AJAX
> [...]
the
> > 4 open source components specified. They are incorporated to
accommodate
> > Eclipse plugin architecture and distributed as-is by repackaging them
as
> > part of the AJAX Toolkit Framework.
> >
> > The Zimbra AJAX Development Toolkit, the first toolkit integrated into
the
> > framework, provides a rich client library, similar in style to
traditional
> > object-oriented widget libraries like Eclipse's SWT.  This toolkit
hides
> > implementation details and browser quirks and makes web development
more
> > accessible to the enterprise developer.  It provides
> >
> > * User interface development
> > * Network communications (both synchronous and asynchronous)
> > * SOAP programming
> > * XML document creation and manipulation
> > * UI event handling and management
> >
> > For further information, please see the Zimbra AjaxTK whitepaper:
> > http://www.zimbra.com/pdf/Zimbra%20AJAX%20TK%20Whitepaper.pdf
> >
> > 0.2  Warning signs
> >
> > Orphaned products:
> >
> > The initial code submission is based on colloborative work between IBM
and
> > Zimbra to provide a toolkit and a framework to embed the toolkit in IDE
> > environment and provide additional enhancements. Both the companies
> > believe
> > that taking a joint approach and making it available through open
source
> > will make it widely accepted and create a community and unify Industry
> > momentum to consolidate requirements and accelerate community growth
and
> > enhance the toolkit to ease development of AJAX applications.
> >
> > Inexperience with open source:
> >
> > Both the companies and several of the commiters are very experienced in
> > Open Source environment. All efforts will be made to ensure that the
work
> > done and momentum will be in strict adherence to open source
guidelines.

> > Homogenous developers:
> >
> > The current list of committers includes developers who are
geographically
> > distributed.  They are experienced with working in a distributed
> > environment, and with resolving technical differences.
> >
> > Reliance on salaried developers:
> >
> > All of the initial developers are paid by their employers to contribute
> > this project and the employers track records for ongoing investment in
> > open
> > source communities well known.
> >
> > No ties to other Apache products:
> >
> > The initial codebase will be licensed under the Apache License 2.0.The
> > dependencies on other external projects are defined in the alignment
> > section.  While there are no direct build dependencies on other Apache
> > projects, the development of AJAX clients will often be driven by
Apache
> > middleware and will have a positive impact on the open source movement
as
> > described in the "Rationale" section.
> >
> > A fascination with the Apache brand:
> >
> > The committers are intent on developing a strong open source community.
We
> > believe that the Apache Software Foundation's emphasis on community
> > development makes it the most suitable choice.
> >
> > 1. Scope of the subprojects
> >

> > The subprojects will include development tools necessary to encourage
> > browser-based, AJAX-style development for individual users as well as
in
> > the enterprise.  The tools will be driven by an extensible IDE
Framework

http://www.apache.org/~rubys/ajax/Ajax.tar.gz

> > 2.1 External Dependencies of the project
> >
> > AJAX Toolkit Framework has dependencies on Mozilla XULRunner and
> > JavaConnect, and Eclipse WTP. AJAX Toolkit Framework is written as a
set
> > of
> > Plugin extensions to Eclipse. It embeds four other open source
components
> > Rhino, JSLint, Rico and Zimbra.  No code modifications will be made to
the
> > four open source components specified. They are incorporated to
> > accommodate
> > Eclipse plugin architecture and distributed as is by repackaging them
as
> > part of AJAX Toolkit Framework. In the future any AJAX toolkit that is
> > be supported can be included as another plugin.
> >
> > 3. Identify the ASF resources to be created
> >
> > 3.1 mailing list(s)
> >
> >     * ajaxtk-ppmc
> >     * ajaxtk-dev
> >     * ajaxtk-commits
> >     * ajaxtk-user
> >
> > 3.2 Subversion repository
> >
> >     * [WWW] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ajaxtk
> >
> > 3.3 Bugzilla
> >
> >     * AJAXTK (AJAXTK)
> >
> > 4. Identify the initial set of committers:
> >
> >     * Craig Becker
> >     * Leugim Bustelo
> >     * Andrew Clark
> >     * Conrad Damon
> >     * Ross Dargahi
> >     * Becky Gibson
> >     * Javier Pedemonte
> >     * Adam Peller
> >     * Roland Schemers
> >     * Donald Sedota
> >     * Parag Shah
> >     * Greg Solovyev
> >
> > 5. Identify Apache sponsoring individual
> >
> > We request that the Apache Incubator PMC sponsor the AJAX Toolkit
> > Framework
> > as an
> > incubating project, with the eventual goal of graduation as a TLP.  The
> > initial contributors feel the scope of the project doesn't clearly
> > overlap with any existing TLP, and is broad enough to justify eventual
> > TLP status.
> >
> > Champion:    Sam Ruby
> >
> > Mentors:     ??

http://www.irian.at