incubator-general mailing list archives

From Adam Peller <apel...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: AJAX Toolkit Framework Proposal
Date Wed, 21 Dec 2005 22:25:08 GMT
Craig,

Sam addressed the social engineering viewpoint; I'd like to talk about the
software side:

> Craig McClanahan wrote:
>>From a software engineering viewpoint, focusing on a single tool as a
>delivery vehicle will tend to bias architectural and implementation
>decisions towards what is easy to express in that particular tool.

I think Sam already mentioned that the Eclipse-based tooling is just our
contribution.  And while we'd try to make that as robust and extensible as
possible, we would be by no means limited to one tool.  If that isn't clear
in the proposal, we should fix it.  (Eclipse is a delivery vehicle for the
tooling only, btw -- the browser is the delivery vehicle for the
applications developed)   You've got to start somewhere.  Some of the
proposed tooling might be independent of Eclipse, and possibly even
independent of the various AJAX runtimes.  As for what we've done in
Eclipse so far, we're trying our best to keep it platform neutral.
Mozilla, embedded in our tooling, is really the container you're developing
in, and even there we hope to offer browser choice; we just chose Mozilla
as a starting point because it's ubiquitous, offers excellent integration
points, is open source, etc.  Isn't it really the browser choice which can
introduce bias? (the very problem AJAX toolkits try to address?)  Certain
conveniences or widgetry in the tool itself might be geared towards what
Eclipse supports, but I'd hope that Eclipse would not impact the
applications you would develop.  I'll have to think about this some more.
If you have any examples, I'd very much like to hear them.

-Adam