incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Is the incubator out of control?
Date Thu, 22 Dec 2005 17:56:30 GMT
Jim Jagielski wrote:

> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>> Jim Jagielski wrote:
>>> I think the Incubator would best serve the ASF if we/they had
>>> the ultimate authority to vote on, even if the PMC approves a
>>> proposed project, acceptance.
>>
>> You are entitled to that view, but until the Board formally sets
>> that role, I don't believe that the Incubator should presume that
>> it has that right.
>
> Quoting the Resolution that created the Incubator:
>   RESOLVED, that the Apache Incubator PMC be and hereby is
>   responsible for the acceptance and oversight of new products
>   submitted or proposed to become part of the Foundation;

> There is nothing within the Resolution which says, for example,
> that the sponsor PMC gets first and only vote, etc... That
> is, instead, a policy which we've (the Incubator) set. It's
> the Incubator which granted that "power" to the PMCs

I do understand your point, but as I also understand from the comments of
both the current ASF Chairman and his predecessor, the Incubator's authority
comes into play when we vote to release from the Incubator, rather than when
another PMC charges us to accept a candidate into Incubation.  Again, the
Board can clarify the intent, and I would welcome that clarification.

	--- Noel