incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <>
Subject RE: Is the incubator out of control?
Date Thu, 22 Dec 2005 00:46:41 GMT
Jim Jagielski wrote:

> I see the Incubator as a gatekeeper almost.

See Roy's comments for an alternative view.  As I understand his view, the
gatekeeper role is limited to projects leaving the Incubator, not entering.

> PMCs, in general, don't have an idea of the number of
> podlings within the Incubator, the "load" that the
> Incubator (and Infrastructure) is currently handling,
> etc. They have no need to.

Actually, I disagree.  I think that the PMCs should be far more aware of the
overall events within the Foundation, and far less cloistered and parochial.

> I think the Incubator would best serve the ASF if we/they had
> the ultimate authority to vote on, even if the PMC approves a
> proposed project, acceptance.

You are entitled to that view, but until the Board formally sets that role,
I don't believe that the Incubator should presume that it has that right.

	--- Noel

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message