incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Is the incubator out of control?
Date Thu, 22 Dec 2005 12:59:54 GMT

On Dec 21, 2005, at 7:46 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> Jim Jagielski wrote:
>

>> I think the Incubator would best serve the ASF if we/they had
>> the ultimate authority to vote on, even if the PMC approves a
>> proposed project, acceptance.
>
> You are entitled to that view, but until the Board formally sets
> that role,
> I don't believe that the Incubator should presume that it has that
> right.

Quoting the Resolution that created the Incubator:

     RESOLVED, that the Apache Incubator PMC be and hereby is
     responsible for the acceptance and oversight of new products
     submitted or proposed to become part of the Foundation; and be
     it further

There is nothing within the Resolution which says, for example,
that the sponsor PMC gets first and only vote, etc... That
is, instead, a policy which we've (the Incubator) set. It's
the Incubator which granted that "power" to the PMCs, and
we can certainly, IMO, change our set policies to allow us
more control over that which we are charged with in the
first place :)

PS: IMO, in response to the actual subject line, I certainly
     don't feel that the Incubator is out of control, or
     on a certain path for disaster, or anything like that.
     I simply think that, knowing the currently growth plan,
     some changes may be a Good Idea to *prevent* any
     future problems or concerns.