incubator-general mailing list archives

From Erik Abele <e...@codefaktor.de>
Subject Re: Is the incubator out of control?
Date Fri, 23 Dec 2005 16:40:00 GMT
On 23.12.2005, at 16:57, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 23, 2005 at 09:11:55AM -0500, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>> I think that there's little downside to this.  A check on the
>> Incubator PMC is the board - any member or PMC could appeal to the
>> board in the event that they believed their proposals were not being
>> treated fairly, or if the Incubator PMC was behaving in general in a
>> way they disagreed with.
>> And the board has to answer to the membership.
>
> I believe that there is *major* downside to having the Incubator PMC
> second-guess the decisions of other PMCs.

+1.

> If someone doesn't like the decision of a PMC, they shouldn't be
> able to
> use the Inucbator PMC as cover for their attacks.  People who don't
> like
> what's going on in that PMC should confront that PMC directly.  If
> they
> don't like what's going on in that PMC and have tried to redress their
> grievances directly, they can go to the Board.

+1.

>> We need to actually increase our technical diversity here - we have
>> no real Ruby-oriented communities, nor any coherent .NET identity,
>> and I think that's going to hurt us in the long run.
>
> That's why this talk about limiting growth is so dangerous.  The
> foundation
> should go where our PMCs and our members want.  -- justin

I agree that it is very dangerous talking about limits ab initio -
but on the other hand I think it is very important to talk about
growth. I'm not sure what the outcome of this discussion will bring,
but I think we have seen enough concerns that it at least warrants a
discussion (not conclusions!).

Maybe we find out it is enough to more efficently control PR
activities or to require two or more mentors or ... I don't know but
I'd like to explore the possibilities.

(I've written about all the mentioned concerns on members@ but
unfortunately nobody picked up the list so far.)

Cheers,
Erik