incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Starting a java specs project
Date Fri, 30 Dec 2005 18:29:26 GMT
I have a few observations that might help inform what we do here.

1. There is often what you might call "implementation" in the
javax.<spec> domain. There are bootstrap classes in the JSR 220 and
JSRs 12 and 243 that must be implemented by the javax code. And
Exceptions and Errors have to be classes. But 99% of the time, the
javax material comprises interfaces that an implementation is
supposed to implement.

2. There is no reason that I know of to restrict commit privileges on
the javax code to expert group members. The TCKs typically include
signature tests that verify that the interfaces and classes contain
exactly what they are supposed to.

3. There is ongoing maintenance on the javax code in a JSR.
Clarifications in the specification often lead to slight changes in
the implementation of classes. Less frequently, an API can be added
to a specified interface (doesn't change backward compatibility but
adds functionality).

4. Apache JDO (which notwithstanding information on the incubator web
site has graduated;-) is a project that is implementing both the API
and the TCK. It's not clear to me what the advantage is to putting
the API part in another project. Other projects that want to access
the API jar can simply reference it via maven or download the jar files.

5. The JDO spec development is done in the open via cross-posting to
the official JDO expert group alias and the apache-jdo dev alias. But
this practice is not very common; many JSRs are developed in secret.

6. The roadmap for the Apache JDO project includes an implementation
of the JDO 2 specification for relational and other databases. There
is synergy with Tomcat, Geronimo, and the DB TLPs to integrate this
future implementation into web and application servers and tools.