incubator-general mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: Is there a "no graduate" option?
Date Thu, 22 Dec 2005 22:07:00 GMT
--On December 22, 2005 3:26:57 PM -0500 Rich Bowen <rbowen@rcbowen.com>
wrote:

> As I look through the list of projects in the incubator, trying to figure
> out where I can be useful, I notice several projects that have been in
> the incubator for a LONG time.
>
> Which got me thinking ... is there a graceful exit option? I see on the
> list that one project is listed as a "Failed incubation", which seems
> really harsh. Is there an option for "You're very nice, but you just
> don't fit at the ASF"? Or is it assumed that the two options are
> "Graduate" and "Keep trying."

It takes as long as it takes.

The only requirement I have is that there is a continued effort towards
attracting community.  If a project goes completely dormant (i.e. no
traffic whatsoever), then yes it can fail and should be terminated.

However, placing arbitrary limits on the Incubation period is the opposite
of what we want to achieve.  It would "force" a community to meet
artificial deadlines when that may be the worst thing we could do.  --
justin