incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Is the incubator out of control?
Date Wed, 21 Dec 2005 17:29:32 GMT

On Dec 21, 2005, at 12:18 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> Jim Jagielski wrote:
>
>> There is one thing that I think would be useful in
>> helping: That the Incubator PMC take an active role
>> in accepting new projects. Normally, if the Sponsor
>> says "Yes" a vote isn't even taken on the Incubator
>> side. I think that no matter what, unless overruled
>> by the board, the Incubator should vote.
>
> It was presented to the Incubator PMC that when another PMC has
> voted, we
> don't have that option.  I'd like to see a determination from the
> Board if
> that is to change.
>
> I will still say that if another PMC has voted, that unless they also
> provide a Member or Officer to provide oversight (not necessarily
> from that
> PMC), that the request is invalid.

I see the Incubator as a gatekeeper almost. PMCs,
in general, don't have an idea of the number of
podlings within the Incubator, the "load" that the
Incubator (and Infrastructure) is currently handling,
etc. They have no need to. I think the Incubator
would best serve the ASF if we/they had the
ultimate authority to vote on, even if the PMC
approves a proposed project, acceptance.