incubator-general mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@iq80.com>
Subject Re: [doc] "How to graduate from the incubator" topic
Date Mon, 19 Dec 2005 18:08:01 GMT
On Dec 18, 2005, at 6:46 PM, Jean T. Anderson wrote:

> This is part of the "Incubator Guidelines Documentation" project
> Noel posted at
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/
> 200512.mbox/%3cNBBBJGEAGJAKLIDBKJOPAEBMFGAC.noel@devtech.com%3e
>
> When Eddie and I briefly chatted at ApacheCon we agreed that there
> seems to be a shortfall of information on the steps required for
> moving out of the Incubator, and also that the steps would be
> different for graduating as a new TLP (e.g., Eddie's experience
> with Beehive) or graduating into an existing TLP (e.g., my
> experience with Derby into the DB project).
>
> I'd like to initialize this topic now so we can capture JDO's
> experience of moving into the DB project (nothing like fresh
> experience).
>
> Here's a starting checklist based on one I started last summer when
> Derby graduated:
>
> [ ] Move svn repo
>     [ ] Request svn repository/karma move from incubator to new
> location.
>     ***Who should make this request? One of the project's mentors?
> Anyone on the podling pmc?

A sample email would be helpful here.

>     [ ] Remove the incubator disclaimer README at the top level
>     [ ] Update the STATUS file to reflect graduation
>
> [ ] Move web site
>    [ ] Obtain karma for the new location on people.apache.org
>    [ ] Check out/deploy the files in the new location
>    [ ] Request redirect from old incubator URL to new
>        *** Post this request to general@i.a.o ?

Is this an HTTP redirect in .htaccess file?

On Dec 18, 2005, at 7:30 PM, Davanum Srinivas wrote:
> Here's a few:
> [ ] Submit Infra request to move mailing lists and archives. For
> example in a TLP, the ppmc list is renamed to pmc. sometimes the name
> of the mailing list needs to be updated (if there is a name change
> etc)
> [ ] Update information in JIRA/Bugzilla for the project.
>

> Off the top of my head a few more things for a TLP:
> Infra folks have additional work for a TLP (for example they have to
> add DNS entries). If it is a TLP, several locations in www.apache.org
> needs to get updated as well. One more thing the PMC has to get on a
> schedule for reporting to the board, there is a committee.txt that
> needs to be updated.

 From what I remember from when Geronimo graduated, a TLP needs to be
approved by the board, so the PPMC needs to create a proposal
including a proposed PMC chair and send that to the board.  A
graduating project may also want to send out a press release, which
needs to be cleared with the PRC.

-dain