incubator-general mailing list archives

From James Strachan <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Incubating java projects
Date Wed, 21 Dec 2005 11:40:42 GMT
On 21 Dec 2005, at 11:13, Leo Simons wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 21, 2005 at 10:59:11AM +0000, James Strachan wrote:
>> On 20 Dec 2005, at 19:33, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>>> It's not actually a dumb question, but rather one that I always
>>> took for granted... I realized when asked by Alan that we never had
>>> the need to codify it...
>>
>> Yeah - I've never seen it actually written down anywhere & noticed
>> that the Roller project hadn't switched domains yet.
>>
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/roller/trunk/src/org/
>>
>> I wondered why this was mandatory; the purpose of the Java package
>> name scheme is purely to avoid clashes; provided the .org domain name
>> is owned (& we'd be happy to donate to Apache) I don't see why we
>> need to force a major package name change on our users. If it is
>> mandatory then hey we'll comply I'm just questioning who made this
>> decision and why?
>
> Sun Microsystems in their coding standards :-). It was in retrospect
> not such a good idea perhaps...

Suns coding standards wasn't my question - it was whether or not
"org.apache." should be a mandatory prefix on all Java package names
at Apache.

> One thing we *can't* have is trademarks that aren't owned by the ASF
> (registered or not),

I didn't think trademarks are linked to Java package names are they?

> so *if* the package isn't changed then yes the
> org.roller name and domain *should* probably come under full
> control of
> the ASF (I'll say that's a good idea anyway).

Agreed

> I think the package name change is currently not mandatory, but
> perhaps
> it should be.

I'm not so sure.  There's already various stuff at Apache that breaks
this rule (SAX, DOM, JCP APIs such as stuff in geronimo-spec, the SCA
specification in the Tuscany project; I'm sure there are other
examples, this was off the top of my head). Seems a bit silly to
introduce a new rule that we can't ever fully comply with for no
technical reason.

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/