incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Starting a java specs project
Date Fri, 30 Dec 2005 14:45:00 GMT

On Dec 27, 2005, at 2:42 PM, Henri Yandell wrote:

> On 12/27/05, Geir Magnusson Jr. <geirm@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Dec 27, 2005, at 11:42 AM, Henri Yandell wrote:
>>
>>> My aim for Jakarta is to either promote subprojects to TLP or
>>> flatten them into Jakarta Commons, leading to a non-umbrella
>>> Jakarta (I know, you didn't think you'd see it in your lifetime).
>>> This new Jakarta would have the potential to serve two roles:
>>>
>>> 1) Place for Java@Apache to share conversation [general@jakarta]
>>> 2) Place for Java@Apache to share code [Jakarta Commons]
>>>
>>> Storing the spec source there would be good for everyone I think;
>>> it would help bring people to Jakarta to share code and
>>> conversation, and the Commons community would make good stewards
>>> for the code if the various owners departed.
>>
>> I'm not sure if I buy that last one - do you really think that the
>> commons people are willing to do that?  why?
>
> Yeah, I've forwarded this to general@jakarta as well so I can get
> feedback from both sides. The above meant 'the commons community way'
> rather than the exact people. ie) I'm expecting the original coders
> to, in most cases, still be maintaining and working on the code.
>
> Yoav pointed out that one problem with this is that some of these
> things have Expert Group authorization issues. Unsure if we would try
> to get rid of those or just maintain them.

There are no EG authorization issues.  We're talking about just doing
independent spec jars, right?  Not implementations of the specs
themselves, but just a place for shared spec jars.  Like "get the
javadoc for JSR-FOO when it's done, and site and type in the interfaces"

> ie) Keep them as a part of Jakarta Commons [the community development
> at Jakarta] or make a third component in Jakarta [along with Jakarta
> General, the conversation place] called Jakarta Specs.

I'm not sure why Jakarta.  Since we've been talking about this (over
a year?) in Geronomo, I always saw this really as a "depot" just to
get rid of the collisions, rather than any chance for community -
this is really just housekeeping.  There are no real opportunities
for creative work, and once done, they won't change until the next
rev of the specs come out.  It's just stenography for the most part.
True, there are specs for which there is code in the API, such as
factories or in the case of Javamail, deeper implementation, but I'd
expect that this would be done by the specific projects that are
doing the full impl, such as WS-Scout people doing the JAXR API
stuff, $whoever_owns_javamail (G right now) doing the javamail spec
jars, etc.

geir

geirm@apache.org