incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Is the incubator out of control?
Date Fri, 23 Dec 2005 13:49:39 GMT

On Dec 22, 2005, at 6:23 PM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> On Dec 22, 2005, at 10:53 AM, Erik Abele wrote:
>>>
>>> Right, and that's the only thing you are qualified to do.  You don't
>>> have the right to tell other people what they can or cannot do at
>>> the ASF.  You don't have the right to say that one project is more
>>> deserving of our resources than some other project.  What you do
>>> have
>>> is the right to be involved, to help their incubation (or not), and
>>> to vote against their graduation if you so desire.
>>
>> So nobody has the right but you do? Or how can your smack-down of
>> the Tuscany proposal be interpreted?
>
> Because Tuscany was proposed to the incubator PMC (not another PMC)
> and I do have a vote here.  In any case, I objected to the proposal
> because it was empty of significant content, and removed by objection
> once it was filled.  I did not prevent them from working on an
> architecture that I still believe to be a waste of time -- I only
> made sure that they all agreed on what they wanted to work on,
> because I think that is a minimum for any collaboration.

As the sponsor/champion of Tuscany, I'll be the first to admit that
Roy was actually right on with his criticism.

The proposal didn't reflect what the proposers were actually
thinking, and it forced the team to review and rewrite, and the
result is IMO a stronger, clearer proposal and statement of intent.

geir

geirm@apache.org