incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ted Leung <twle...@sauria.com>
Subject Is the incubator out of control?
Date Wed, 21 Dec 2005 09:50:28 GMT
On Dec 20, 2005, at 4:49 PM, Martin Cooper wrote:

> Personally, I am less than happy at seeing yet another large project
> proposed from a corporate source (and IBM at that), along with a
> dozen new
> committers who have not earned their merit at the ASF as most
> committers
> have. I feel the ASF is losing its way, and becoming a repository for
> corporate open-sourcing along with taking on responsibility for
> building
> communities around corporate code bases. I suspect I'm in the
> minority at
> the ASF, and I'm undoubtedly in the minority here in the incubator.
> But
> there doesn't seem to be a way for the incubator to say "no
> thanks", other
> than by a podling failing the incubation process, and that seems
> wrong to
> me.

The merits of the particular proposal aside,  I wanted to comment on
this paragraph.   This year at ApacheCon I was surprised to find that
a number of people also feel that the ASF is growing far too
quickly.   I know that are some people who believe that the growth
that we are experiencing is indicative of our success.
Unfortunately, I don't agree with that.    I think that the
incubation process is setting an incredibly low bar for access to the
Apache brand name, and this is a bad thing.   Corporations see the
value of the brand name, that's why they want to come here and are
willing to put up with all our overhead.

----
Ted Leung                          Blog: <http://www.sauria.com/blog>
PGP Fingerprint: 1003 7870 251F FA71 A59A  CEE3 BEBA 2B87 F5FC 4B42