incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Super Simple Site Generation Tool
Date Thu, 29 Dec 2005 13:30:05 GMT

On Dec 27, 2005, at 9:14 PM, David Crossley wrote:

> Leo Simons wrote:
>> Thomas Dudziak wrote:
>>> since I'm rather new to this, I don't have a deep understanding
>>> of the
>>> problems you're trying to solve.
>>
>> None is needed, the problem is very simple.
>
> The problems are not simple, or they would have been solved
> years ago. Follow the site-dev discussions from mid-2004.
>
> It seems that the publishing step is the hardest. No matter
> what the tool, that step trips people up. It seems that
> committers just will not do it. It could perhaps be automated,
> however the requirement to check the generated docs into
> svn prevents that (need a committer's svn credentials).\

I don't understand.  Publshing to me should be "svn commit" after I
look at the site with my local browser as a QA step.  And yes,
committers should be the only ones able to do it.

> Another complex issue is being able to run doc tools on Apache
> servers. We have all been asked to not use people.apache.org
> for that. Sure we will soon have the zones.apache.org machine
> (currently still in testing phase). However, that is not
> scalable. For example we don't want to run various forrest
> instances there for everybody to use. Our project is too small
> to be able to support other projects in that way.

Why not run doc tools?  Isn't it really about which doc tool?
Running the generation for the geronimo site takes under 10 seconds
wall clock for a full render.  That's seems fairly unintrusive.

geir

geirm@apache.org