incubator-general mailing list archives

From James Strachan <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Incubate Tuscany SOA Project
Date Tue, 06 Dec 2005 13:43:43 GMT
On 6 Dec 2005, at 06:45, Kenneth Tam wrote:
>>> Specifically, I think the goal of providing a language/platform
>>> neutral service assembly layer that's backed by an extensible set of
>>> app developer models (with a shared conceptual framework) for
>>> specific
>>> languages/technologies, is something distinct here.  Stuff like
>>> figuring out how to work with e.g. ServiceMix being built around
>>> JBI,
>>> a Java-centric standard, is definitely in the plan and seems like
>>> the
>>> kind of work that would be appropriate to do while incubating.
>>
>> Agreed. Though we can work on that after incubation too :)
>
> Yep, I think a lot of value in this kind of integration comes from it
> being an ongoing process rather than a point-in-time thing.  The way
> the initial seed code has evolved, we're at a point where the overhead
> of opening up is definitely outweighed by the potential gains from
> community involvement in this kind of exploration.

Agreed.

>> [ integration ideas elided ]..
>>

> Glad to see so many ideas -- we know there's prior art -- many of us
> are very cognizant of the proliferation of work in this very broad
> space, and the value in keeping a healthy tension between adding value
> / "offering people a choice" vs. reinventing the wheel just because we
> think we have a better XML configuration file format :P.

LOL! :)

While we're on the subject of XML - XML configuration is one area
there could be some interesting innovation & experimentation. The
XBean project is moving to Apache into the Geronimo project as a
module which has a nice extension to Spring to support custom XML
languages...

http://xbean.org/Custom+XML

it allows you to reuse regular Spring IoC configuration (<bean>
<property> <import> et al) but extend it with custom namespaces & XML
languages for certain components, mixing and matching it all together
in one file - each namespace having its own auto-generated XSD for
validation. (There's a bit more to it that that, I'm dramatically
simplifying here).

We're currently using XBean on ActiveMQ and ServiceMix and I hope
Geronimo and other Apache projects start using it too. I'm sure we
could maybe unify - as a possible deployment option - the SCA XML
configuration language with regular Spring XML along with other XBean
configuration file languages (all with their own XSDs/documentation
reference) so we could mix and match in a single configuration file,
say, the configuration of Geronimo's transaction manager
configuration with ServiceMix's JBI Normalized Message Router
configuration together with a collection of SCA's bindings together
with regular Spring stuff etc.  For the application developer there
could be some interesting effects of having an XBean configuration
mechanism for Tuscany; mixing Spring, Tuscany & Geronimo
configurations together in a single XBean document which is
inherently extensible to other components too. The nice thing about
SCA is we can have quite a lot of innovation at the runtime/
deployment stack while preserving the same application developer code.

Anyway; lets get Tuscany started first before I ramble on too much
about XML :)

>> Incidentally I've also wanted a nice Apache licensed SDO
>> implementation too for some time (thats not bound to EMF :)
>
> Heh, I thought the same thing when I got involved..

:)

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/