incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: Is the incubator out of control?
Date Thu, 22 Dec 2005 23:23:13 GMT
On Dec 22, 2005, at 10:53 AM, Erik Abele wrote:
> On 21.12.2005, at 21:57, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>> On Dec 21, 2005, at 11:04 AM, Ted Leung wrote:
>>> How is this possible when any other PMC can vote to bring a
>>> project in without approval of the incubator PMC?  Just look at
>>> the raft of projects being brought in via Geronimo and the WS
>>> PMC.   There's not a thing I can do, regardless of the merits.
>>> The only thing I can say is whether or not their community is
>>> good enough to merit graduation.
>>
>> Right, and that's the only thing you are qualified to do.  You don't
>> have the right to tell other people what they can or cannot do at
>> the ASF.  You don't have the right to say that one project is more
>> deserving of our resources than some other project.  What you do have
>> is the right to be involved, to help their incubation (or not), and
>> to vote against their graduation if you so desire.
>
> So nobody has the right but you do? Or how can your smack-down of
> the Tuscany proposal be interpreted?

Because Tuscany was proposed to the incubator PMC (not another PMC)
and I do have a vote here.  In any case, I objected to the proposal
because it was empty of significant content, and removed by objection
once it was filled.  I did not prevent them from working on an
architecture that I still believe to be a waste of time -- I only
made sure that they all agreed on what they wanted to work on,
because I think that is a minimum for any collaboration.

> Sorry, I may be a pain in the ass, but that's all very conflictive
> IMHO...

Pay attention to the details.

....Roy