incubator-general mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: [policy] bring in full code history on incubated project?
Date Fri, 23 Dec 2005 18:31:31 GMT
--On December 23, 2005 1:15:44 PM -0500 "Geir Magnusson Jr."
<geirm@apache.org> wrote:

> Sorry to change the subject...
>
> Can someone make a definitive statement on whether or not code  history
> is brought into our repo from elsewhere when a podling brings  code over?

I say no.  We should only take in a snapshot.

If people want to see the history that was done elsewhere, they are free to
maintain the old history outside.  What happened before the ASF was
involved is something we have no knowledge of and can't speak to.  We can't
be responsible for what happened before we were involved.

By only taking in a snapshot, we create a clean break from a social and
legal standpoint.  All work from that point is done under our oversight
mechanisms.  We can operate in good faith that the snapshot we receive is
in decent legal shape as we usually have a software grant for the bulk of
that work.  However, taking in complete source history that we have no
knowledge of the oversight mechanisms that were in place is a bad thing in
my opinion.

There is a lesser point that taking in the author information from a
separate project is awkward.  This presents conflicts with our user account
information and muddy things up if we ever have to do an audit.  -- justin