incubator-general mailing list archives

From James Strachan <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: Incubating java projects
Date Thu, 22 Dec 2005 15:26:42 GMT

On 22 Dec 2005, at 06:36, Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-12-21 at 19:47 -0800, Greg Stein wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 20, 2005 at 11:16:13AM -0800, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
>>> Dumb question, is it a requirement that the incubating project
>>> move to
>>> the org.apache package?
>>
>> I would say "yes".
>
> Big +1.
>
> We of course cannot control standard APIs like org.w3c.dom, or javax.*
> etc., but for software that is developed at Apache the Java packaging
> should always be org.apache.*. IMO that's the signal to the world of
> Java programmers that they're using ASF code and its a valuable signal
> that we must not lose.
>
> "Hurting" current users with the change cost is a good thing in this
> case IMO: that way they too realize that there's a big change in the
> project and that its now an ASF project.

Great point Sanjiva - am completely sold now, many thanks. Package
renaming for ActiveMQ and ServiceMix coming up real soon....

Thanks everyone for your comments. We should maybe capture some of
the points raised in this thread into the incubation guide?

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/