incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: [policy] bring in full code history on incubated project?
Date Wed, 28 Dec 2005 02:38:38 GMT
On Dec 27, 2005, at 4:32 PM, Martin Cooper wrote:
> So what would it mean if Project Foo comes to the ASF, having
> released their 1.0 beforehand under the GPL, and then I grab the
> 1.0 code from the ASF repo and release that as my own version of
> the original 1.0?

Project Foo can only come to the ASF by licensing every bit of
copyrightable code and contributions within it under a software
grant, which in turn allows the ASF to relicense the entire thing
as Apache Licensed code.

> Can I release this new version under the Apache License, thereby
> effectively retroactively relicensing 1.0 under that license, or is
> that version still GPL, therefore meaning GPL code is checked into
> the ASF repo?

The copyright owners can non-exclusively license a work under as
many licenses as they wish.

....Roy