incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ted Leung <twle...@sauria.com>
Subject Re: Is the incubator out of control?
Date Wed, 21 Dec 2005 19:04:25 GMT

On Dec 21, 2005, at 8:22 AM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>> The merits of the particular proposal aside
>
> We should always be judging the merits of each proposal.  Failing
> to do so
> might well be part of the problem.

How is this possible when any other PMC can vote to bring a project
in without approval of the incubator PMC?  Just look at the raft of
projects being brought in via Geronimo and the WS PMC.   There's not
a thing I can do, regardless of the merits.  The only thing I can say
is whether or not their community is good enough to merit graduation.

>> I think that the incubation process is setting an incredibly
>> low bar for access to the Apache brand name
>
> And we require disclaimers and clear notice that projects ARE in the
> Incubator.  Look at how the folks are complaining that we are
> trying to make
> the projects look different by being in the Incubator.  They ARE
> different.
> And they MUST be Incubator branded, and follow Incubation rules.

Most people in the world are unaware of the difference between an
incubated project and an Apache project.  Roy has also stated that
once a project is in the incubator it ought to be regarded as an
Apache project.

Ted