incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Starting a java specs project
Date Fri, 30 Dec 2005 18:45:13 GMT

On Dec 30, 2005, at 10:18 AM, Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

> Brett Porter wrote:
>> On 12/31/05, Geir Magnusson Jr <geir@pobox.com> wrote:
>>> I think it was just coming out of incubation, but yes, that's
>>> something
>>> we should point to somehow.
>> I agree. This point actually raises something else - it would be a
>> bit
>> silly to have a specs project ("here are all our Java specs!") if it
>> doesn't have them all ("...except this one, this one, and this one").
>
> Well, we can't force anyone, and I just assume that projects will
> see the utility.  There's nothing really interesting about these
> spec jars, so they would be just a consumer as well (with help
> maintaining, I suppose).
>
>> Is it worth asking them to move too, and do we need to make sure they
>> all agree first, or do we just agree to link out to them?
>
> On a website?  I guess we could point to them, to try and shame
> them into bringing the stuff over :)
>
>> I understand the earlier point that there might not be a lot of
>> coding
>> going on here and that might hinder building any community around it.
>> However, its another excuse for a bunch of people doing Java stuff to
>> get together in one place, and maybe meet a wider community of people
>> at Apache. That can only be a good thing.
>
> The thing is, I don't think we should set any high expectations
> about community, because unlike Jakarta Commons, where there was/is
> active development around the projects, the spec jars are pretty
> static and boring...
>
>>> It would be nice to have a JDO2 impl here as well...
>> Getting off-topic, but does that really need to be here? Is there
>> anything stopping people from getting involved in jpox, who as I
>> understand it work very closely with the jdo team here and are the
>> RI?
>
> Does it need to?  only if people want it.  JPOX is the RI, and I
> always feel that a truly competitive impl of a spec isn't going to
> be the RI. You don't want to do real extension and surrounding
> innovation in an RI,  I figure...

I don't necessarily agree with either point. JPOX has gained a lot of
credibility and good press by being the RI, and it will continue to
innovate in the product space as well.

The Sun-branded Java EE server is also the RI and has been for the
last three releases starting with J2EE 1.3.

Of course, for some, I've proved your point. ;-)

Craig