incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Starting a java specs project
Date Tue, 27 Dec 2005 17:23:36 GMT

On Dec 27, 2005, at 11:42 AM, Henri Yandell wrote:

> One idea was to collate them as a part of Jakarta.

I'd never heard that one ;)

> My aim for Jakarta is to either promote subprojects to TLP or
> flatten them into Jakarta Commons, leading to a non-umbrella
> Jakarta (I know, you didn't think you'd see it in your lifetime).
> This new Jakarta would have the potential to serve two roles:
>
> 1) Place for Java@Apache to share conversation [general@jakarta]
> 2) Place for Java@Apache to share code [Jakarta Commons]
>
> Storing the spec source there would be good for everyone I think;
> it would help bring people to Jakarta to share code and
> conversation, and the Commons community would make good stewards
> for the code if the various owners departed.

I'm not sure if I buy that last one - do you really think that the
commons people are willing to do that?  why?

The point of this was that this is shared code as well as code that
causes collisions.  Apache Geronimo had to implement this stuff for
J2EE, but it's a dupe of what we find elsewhere, like in tomcat and
in web-services land.

The point was to get people to stop maintaining it within their
project boundaries and do it in common - I don't think that people
would "move on" as it's key to what's happening w/in each TLP.  I.e.
WS needs JAXR for Scout (and so does Geronimo).  Tomcat needs servlet
for tomcat (and so does Geronimo).  Portals needs JSR168 for
portlets, etc...

IOW, there are people already working on this stuff.  This was the
same motivating factor for Jakarta Commons when we started it - have
subprojects (w/in Jakarta) bring forth things that they will share
but will continue to work on as they are fundamental to the
subproject.  IOW, the contributing [sub]project had a very compelling
interest to keep going w/ the software.

> Some other pluses are that it would help be a part of an attempt to
> rejuvenate Jakarta in 2006 (as a kind of federation) and that non-
> JCP specs could be stored there too.
>
> Not trying to intrude on the JCP stuff though, so I can see if it's
> preferred to keep things under a strictly JCP-oriented environment.

I don't think that it should be considered JCP specific - IOW,
there's no reason to keep cc-ing jcp-open, but rather
general@incubator is a fine a spot as any.

geir

geirm@apache.org