incubator-general mailing list archives

From James Strachan <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Incubating java projects
Date Wed, 21 Dec 2005 10:59:11 GMT
On 20 Dec 2005, at 19:33, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> It's not actually a dumb question, but rather one that I always
> took for granted... I realized when asked by Alan that we never had
> the need to codify it...

Yeah - I've never seen it actually written down anywhere & noticed
that the Roller project hadn't switched domains yet.

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/roller/trunk/src/org/

I wondered why this was mandatory; the purpose of the Java package
name scheme is purely to avoid clashes; provided the .org domain name
is owned (& we'd be happy to donate to Apache) I don't see why we
need to force a major package name change on our users. If it is
mandatory then hey we'll comply I'm just questioning who made this
decision and why?

James

> On Dec 20, 2005, at 2:16 PM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
>
>> Dumb question, is it a requirement that the incubating project
>> move to the org.apache package?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Alan

> --