incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Is the incubator out of control?
Date Fri, 23 Dec 2005 13:55:17 GMT

On Dec 23, 2005, at 12:19 AM, Ted Leung wrote:

> On Dec 21, 2005, at 12:57 PM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
>>

>> That's because an Apache project is an EFFORT of the ASF.  It is not
>> some diploma that people receive at the end of graduation.
>> Everything
>> done at the ASF is an Apache project.  Some are organized better than
>> others, and some are allowed to make their own release decisions, but
>> all of them are collaborative projects using ASF infrastructure and
>> following the literal meaning of Contributor as defined in our
>> license.
>> And, when needed, the board can terminate a project whether it is in
>> the incubator or not.
>
> To us an Apache project is an effort of the ASF.   To the majority
> of people out there, being an Apache project (rightly or wrongly)
> is branding stamp.   You might not like it, but that's how many
> people treat it.  And that's why one of the first things a company
> wants do when it proposes incubation is issue a press release.

There are lots of bad reasons to come to the ASF and high on my list
is "to take advantage of the brand".

Maybe then we address that issue head-on, and simply ask that a
contributing company doesn't do a press release for n months after
entering incubation?  And when the project graduates, we do a good
job assisting them with a joint release or something as the reward.

geir

geirm@apache.org