incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>
Subject Re: [RT] Super Simple Site Generation Tool
Date Thu, 29 Dec 2005 20:16:25 GMT

On Dec 29, 2005, at 9:58 AM, Ross Gardler wrote:

> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

>>> The problems are not simple, or they would have been solved
>>> years ago. Follow the site-dev discussions from mid-2004.
>>>
>>> It seems that the publishing step is the hardest. No matter
>>> what the tool, that step trips people up. It seems that
>>> committers just will not do it. It could perhaps be automated,
>>> however the requirement to check the generated docs into
>>> svn prevents that (need a committer's svn credentials).\
>> I don't understand.  Publshing to me should be "svn commit" after
>> I  look at the site with my local browser as a QA step.  And yes,
>> committers should be the only ones able to do it.
>
> That is exactly what it is, when using ForrestBot (in fact you
> don't even have to type "svn commit" since the tool does it for
> you). The problem is that it requries SVN passwords or user
> interaction and so can't be part of an automated tool.

What's the "ForrestBot"?  I just want to

a) edit
b) render
c) examine.  if not right, GOTO a)
d) commit
e) deploy

a,c are entirely my choice of tool, so it's easy.

d,e use one standard common tool.  it's easy.

b needs to be simple and easy

>>> Another complex issue is being able to run doc tools on Apache
>>> servers. We have all been asked to not use people.apache.org
>>> for that. Sure we will soon have the zones.apache.org machine
>>> (currently still in testing phase). However, that is not
>>> scalable. For example we don't want to run various forrest
>>> instances there for everybody to use. Our project is too small
>>> to be able to support other projects in that way.
>> Why not run doc tools?  Isn't it really about which doc tool?
>
> Because the ASF have to support the chosen tool and there are many
> different site generation tools in use within the ASF (now the
> Incubator is about to get its own).

I hope not.  I hope we reuse what is simple and easy and already
working.

geir

geir@optonline.net