incubator-general mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: Is the incubator out of control?
Date Thu, 22 Dec 2005 10:38:53 GMT
On 21 Dec 2005, at 10:50, Ted Leung wrote:

> Unfortunately, I don't agree with that.    I think that the incubation
> process is setting an incredibly low bar for access to the Apache
> brand name, and this is a bad thing.   Corporations see the value of
> the brand name, that's why they want to come here and are willing to
> put up with all our overhead.

I agree but i believe we're picking the wrong example. For me, the low
bar is because many code donations are happening in the folds of
other-than-the-Incubator PMC: The Incubator PMC only needs to care
about IP and legal blahblah, thus the receiving PMCs are tasked with
community and brand abuse stuff. Combine this with mentors preferring
to read and use the system as it has been designed and drafted
literally, rather than according to what the (somewhat intangible)
Apache Way dictates, and this is bound to create tension.

Quite frankly, I don't have the slightest idea anymore what is
happening in the WebServices and Geronimo corner of Apache. That's
either an indication of the fact that I should read more mail (yeah
right), or something slightly more worrying. Too much, too fast, too
eager, too soon. That way, we'll burn out rather than fade away. :)

</Steven>
Outerthought                              Open Source Java & XML
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org