incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Is the incubator out of control?
Date Thu, 22 Dec 2005 18:34:09 GMT

On Dec 22, 2005, at 12:56 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> I do understand your point, but as I also understand from the
> comments of
> both the current ASF Chairman and his predecessor, the Incubator's
> authority
> comes into play when we vote to release from the Incubator, rather
> than when
> another PMC charges us to accept a candidate into Incubation.
> Again, the
> Board can clarify the intent, and I would welcome that clarification.

The Chairman does not have ultimate authority, and their
PoV or opinion does not count more or less than others, nor
does it mean that their interpretation is the rule :)

The idea that PMCs should be able to determine what
projects are to be folded into the ASF is a good one,
and one that we've always held to, but it's also the
one that resulted in the problems with Jakarta
and the lack of oversight involved with them. So it's
not the fact that other PMCs should decide what
gets added in which is the issue, is that we have
the required checks and balances in place to
avoid another Jakarta.

Going under the assumption that there "should" be some
sort of entity which "regulates" the influx of new
projects within the ASF, I submit that the Incubator
is the best such entity currently in existence (other
than the board itself). That's all ;)