incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Date Fri, 23 Dec 2005 21:42:50 GMT

On Dec 21, 2005, at 4:55 PM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> On Dec 21, 2005, at 7:21 PM, Craig L Russell wrote:
>
>> Excuse me, but don't we have a -1 on this vote thread already? Is
>> the idea to get Dain to change his vote by piling on more +1? Or
>> have I completely missed the Tao of the voting process in Apache?
>>
>> I thought that after a -1 the discussion started again on the
>> disagreements.
>
> No - it's not a veto.

Ok. My bad.

>> I'm still looking for an ISO 2000-able mechanism (repeatable,
>> documented, understandable) to migrate the email lists in the
>> incubator domain to the eventual TLP domain without losing
>> threads, context, etc. I see that Cocoon apparently has merged
>> their before- and after- graduation lists, but don't have any idea
>> how well documented and repeatable that process was. For all I
>> know, it was done by superhuman effort by one of the superhumans
>> in infra.
>
> What do  you need exactly?  can you post it to infra?

I got a reply from Roy who is one of the "superhumans". He says he
knows how to do it with some scripts.

Roy: "I don't like moving lists unless there is a good reason.  It is
a potentially error-prone process if something unforeseen blocks the
move."

What I'm looking for is a repeatable, documented process of migrating
email lists from the project-dev AT incubator.apache.org to project-
dev AT top-level-project.apache.org. What Roy has might be suitable
as a tool for part of the process. There are still questions about
how long the old alias will continue to work and whether threads are
maintained across the alias change.

But I'm still missing the rationale for making this big change to
users with the small justification that it makes the incubator more
visible by having it be in the email alias instead of all over the
web site.

Craig