incubator-general mailing list archives

From Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>
Subject Re: Corporations and the incubator
Date Sat, 31 Dec 2005 02:16:09 GMT
Steven Noels wrote:
[...]
> IMHO, actually very _few_ companies issue PR around their ASF
> involvement, considering the fact that the ASF biosphere is one of a
> myriad of tiny (one-person), small (a few people), and then larger
> companies employing individuals which contribute to ASF projects, quite
> a few of them during company hours.

Doesn't that imply that there is no problem with press releases, then,
and thus no reason to prohibit donor companies from putting them out?

[...]
> Are the companies not issuing PR lazy asses, or plain dumb? Not willing
> to inform the public?

I would be more inclined to think that they simply do not consider
it worthwhile. Donating a 100 KLOC project and the time of a handful
of developers may not be a big deal to a billion dollar company, but
it most likely is for a company that's fraction of the size. Especially
one that doesn't seek to derive significant immediate revenue from doing
so.

Martin