incubator-general mailing list archives

From Guillaume Nodet <guillaume.no...@worldonline.fr>
Subject Re: Starting a java specs project
Date Sat, 31 Dec 2005 01:15:32 GMT

Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>What's the point?  To show that you can compile and link against the spec?

Yes. And i do personally think this is a good practice to ensure
portability.

Maven 2 has scoped transitive dependencies : you can specify that your code
compiles against the spec, and test it against one or more
implementation you
want.  But transitive dependencies have their drawbacks when badly used :
if you say your code is dependant on an implementation, it will
automatically
be dependant on the implementation dependencies.

Furthermore, only pointing to jar location is not sufficient : lots of
projects
have rewritten the javax.xml.QName class.   Geronimo already has some specs
that ws projects also have.  Beehive has somewhere a jsr181 spec, but
it's main purpose
is not to be a jsr181 implementation (btw, it has no sense), so that you
do not
think about looking at the Beehive project to find this spec jar.  I was
in need of it
for ServiceMix and found it there by a pure hazard.

I do not see any reason why several projects on apache would have their
own implementation.  Having a collection of
reference jars is much better, but this can only be done outside of
specific projects.

Guillaume Nodet