incubator-general mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: Starting a java specs project
Date Fri, 30 Dec 2005 18:57:12 GMT

Craig L Russell wrote:

> On Dec 30, 2005, at 10:18 AM, Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

>> Does it need to?  only if people want it.  JPOX is the RI, and I
>> always feel that a truly competitive impl of a spec isn't going to be
>> the RI. You don't want to do real extension and surrounding innovation
>> in an RI,  I figure...
>

> I don't necessarily agree with either point. JPOX has gained a lot of
> credibility and good press by being the RI, and it will continue to
> innovate in the product space as well.

I'm not at all in any way attacking or disrespecting JPOX.  I just tend
to keep a clear distinction between RI and indep impls.

> The Sun-branded Java EE server is also the RI and has been for the last
> three releases starting with J2EE 1.3.
>
> Of course, for some, I've proved your point. ;-)

Yes, I think you did exactly.  And it was my understanding that the
Sun-branded server isn't quite the RI?  That product development also
goes on top of the RI to make the products?

geir