incubator-general mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: Starting a java specs project
Date Fri, 30 Dec 2005 18:18:43 GMT

Brett Porter wrote:

>>I think it was just coming out of incubation, but yes, that's something
>>we should point to somehow.
>

> I agree. This point actually raises something else - it would be a bit
> silly to have a specs project ("here are all our Java specs!") if it
> doesn't have them all ("...except this one, this one, and this one").

Well, we can't force anyone, and I just assume that projects will see
the utility.  There's nothing really interesting about these spec jars,
so they would be just a consumer as well (with help maintaining, I suppose).

> Is it worth asking them to move too, and do we need to make sure they
> all agree first, or do we just agree to link out to them?

On a website?  I guess we could point to them, to try and shame them
into bringing the stuff over :)

> I understand the earlier point that there might not be a lot of coding
> going on here and that might hinder building any community around it.
> However, its another excuse for a bunch of people doing Java stuff to
> get together in one place, and maybe meet a wider community of people
> at Apache. That can only be a good thing.

The thing is, I don't think we should set any high expectations about
community, because unlike Jakarta Commons, where there was/is active
development around the projects, the spec jars are pretty static and
boring...

>>It would be nice to have a JDO2 impl here as well...
>

> Getting off-topic, but does that really need to be here? Is there
> anything stopping people from getting involved in jpox, who as I
> understand it work very closely with the jdo team here and are the RI?

Does it need to?  only if people want it.  JPOX is the RI, and I always
feel that a truly competitive impl of a spec isn't going to be the RI.
You don't want to do real extension and surrounding innovation in an RI,
  I figure...

geir