incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Super Simple Site Generation Tool
Date Fri, 30 Dec 2005 17:16:48 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
> I disagree in trying to put the kibosh on the thread.
>
> It was very healthy to bring out the frustration that had been
> simmering, and I think that we all learned something.

Agreed

> What shall we do then in incubator?  Any idea for a productive outcome?

Well as I have said a number of times, my position is do what you need
to. As a Forrest dev I've learnt what are real issues and what are user
issues (or our management of users).

For what it is worth I just proposed an enhancement to "forrest run"
that will solve the remaining workflow issues (with the exception of the
large initial download).

This will provide a way to write generated content to the local build
directoy as Geir suggested. It will also provide the ability to fully
deploy the site from within the browser, either with or without a
complete site rebuild.

In other words, it will integrate the ForrestBot functionality into the
validation stage of the workflow without the need to actually install
the ForrestBot application, just do "forrest run" as you normally do.

I'll be working on this during spare time over the next few days, not
for the incubator, but because it is a good idea generally. Who knows
when I'll finish it, soon I hope.

I don't expect this to mean you stay with Forrest, but it would be wrong
of me to not show we are listening and acting upone the feedack in this
thread.

Ross