incubator-general mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: Starting a java specs project
Date Fri, 30 Dec 2005 16:38:38 GMT

Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
>

>>There has been some discussion on creating a Java specs project
>>which would hold all the specs jars from the various JSRs as well
>>as other standards, e.g. CORBA.  Often, there are many duplicate
>>"copies" of the source code for the same JSR floating around in
>>different Apache projects.  It would be a great idea to move them
>>all into one project.  This idea, so far, has been met with much
>>enthusiasm.
>

> What exactly does this mean?  That the source for Tomcat, JackRabbit,
> Geronimo, WS, Directory and all of the others will be moved to one place?

No - the spec jars for those things.  Not the implementations.

> Geir says:
>
>  "The point of this was that this is shared code as well as code that
>  causes collisions.  Apache Geronimo had to implement this stuff for
>  J2EE, but it's a dupe of what we find elsewhere, like in tomcat and
>  in web-services land.

We just did the spec jars.  The actual implementations of course come
from Tomcat, WS, etc.

> I agree that this is a problem, but turning Geronimo into something worse
> than Jakarta ever was, or turning Jakarta back into its old self is not a
> solution.  Getting projects to stop rolling their own, and to collaborate
> with the other projects is one solution.  For example, if those Geronimo
> built artifacts are dupes, then why were they built instead of re-used?  And
> we have similar situations all over the ASF.

Probably for completeness.  We  have 17 spec modules.  We needed a
complete set.  We all agree that it's dumb to have this implemented in
multiple places.  Hence the idea.

> Geronimo was never intended to build everything.  It was intended to build
> the infrastructure for pulling together all of the parts from around the ASF
> and elswhere as necessary that were required to build a J2EE server.
>
> If you want to have an ontological map of where each JSR is implemented
> around the ASF, for that I would be +1.

http://www.apache.org/jcp

(not complete yet, btw, but getting there)

  We've discussed that idea before.
> If we want to make sure that these jars can be separately accessed, rather
> than just in a big release package, +1 of course.  If we want a common
> distribution repository for the binaries, OK.
>
> But to have a single uber-umbrella for every JSR implementation?

That's not the point of the suggestion, at least as we've been thinking
about in in Geronimo for the last year :)

geir