incubator-general mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: Starting a java specs project
Date Fri, 30 Dec 2005 15:19:28 GMT

Yoav Shapira wrote:
> Hi,
>

>>I'm missing something fundamental.  What would a JSR Expert Group
>>have to do with this?  We are talking about the API jars for
>>completed JSRs, right, and maybe other specs if there are any that
>>require similar machinations?  (I can't think of any...)
>

> I raised the EG commit point for cases of completed JSRs that later
> have corrections or errata, or simply things like typos in the
> JavaDocs or even implementation bugs in the examples if any are
> included with the APIs themselves.  We've seen this happen every now
> and then (not often at all, but it does happen, maybe once per year)
> with the Servlet and JSP APIs in the Tomcat world.

Sure - but in that case, the EG should/is required to do an update on
the spec itself, that would be somehow labeled, and we'd update from
there, right?

It would be great to get EGs to come fix our code, but I don't think
that would happen except in rare cases, and those would be just because
we happen to have a community member on the EG.

> For a long time the relevant CVS modules (jakarta-servletapi,
> jakarta-servletapi-5) only granted commit access to Servlet/JSP EG
> members, not all Tomcat committers, and if some of the EG members were
> busy elsewhere, typos and corrections to the spec stuff would take
> forever to fix.  This is unfortunate because when these rare things do
> occur, they are a high-visibility issue that should be addressed
> immediately.

Right. Agreed.  Maybe we don't have external EG-only commit rights in
the future ;) ?

> (The situation is now better for these specific APIs since we moved to
> SVN and I believe the entire Tomcat PMC may have commit privilges to
> the tomcat/servletapi tree, but I'd like to ensure it doesn't happen
> in this new specs project).

I see.  Thanks.

geir