incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Super Simple Site Generation Tool
Date Fri, 30 Dec 2005 11:34:35 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
> I don't mean to beat a dead horse here, but this reminds me of the old
> joke :
>
> Patient : "Doctor, my arm hurts when I life it like this..."
> Doctor : "Don't lift it like that..."
>
> I needed to "lift my arm".
>
> I had a page that I didn't wish to have as part of the site (i.e. I
> didn't want the site to have a live link to it) but I wanted to change
> the content for anyone out there that still had a link (like Google!).
>
> So I needed to modify and render a page that wasn't part of the formal
> site tree. The solution? After hours of beating my head against the
> wall, the solution was to Link something to it, render (go for
> coffee...), then change the link back, re-render (go for coffee...)

Please stop with this rubbish.

It *is* possible to do exactly what you wanted to do, quickly and
easily. By asking questions on the user list or reading the archives,
you will save a great deal of time. Users coming after you can now read
our (recently added) FAQ:

3.3. How to control the processing of URIs by Cocoon, e.g. exclude
certain URIs, include other additional ones [2]

It's interesting that this FAQ tells you how to lift your arm *without*
it hurting, yet you still claim the opposite.

Whilst I'm at it, I may as well point out there is no need to "go for a
coffee" either as you can instruct Forrest to start at any given page,
so if you only want to render one page, you can.

Alternatively, you can use the Forrestbot and then you don't have to
manually build any part of the site (and yes, you still have the
opportunity to do QA - see earlier messages).

Now please let the "dead horse" drop. Simply admit that you don't have
the time or inclination to ask questions or read docs and therefore
you'd rather see someone build a simpler tool that you have the time to
understand.

Now, finally, in order to keep the balance let me highlight what the
valid criticisms in this thread regarding Forrest are (in my opinion):

- it is a 0.8-dev rather than a 1.0 product

- if you want to use it locally (*not* required if a ForrestBot is made
available) then you need to download a large Java binary distribution
(*not* megabytes of source code as you claimed earlier).

- the default skin is "old fashioned", although this can easily be
changed with some CSS and maybe a little XSL (just CSS when the
Dispatcher becomes stable)

Forrest is much more than the "simple site generation tool" that the
subject says is wanted here, I recognise that Forrest may not be the
right tool for this job. I happen to disagree, but I recognise the
possibility.

In the absence of an Incubator volunteer to work with the Forrest
community it is clear that this simple tool should be built. If it works
out, I am sure that we will integrate the sources into Forrest via a
plugin, if it doesn't Forrest will still be there.

Ross

[1]
I'm assuming your "doctor" comments above were tongue in cheek so I
should get away with that - just in case I'll state that I am using a
metaphor, not making a personal comment

[2]
http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_70/faq.html#cli-xconf