incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Super Simple Site Generation Tool
Date Thu, 29 Dec 2005 22:39:54 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>

>>Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>>Confluence isn't that, and you can't work offline.
>

> Fair drawback, since I doubt that if one edits the HTML in SVN directly,
> that Confluence would be able to pick up the changes.  OTOH, isn't this how
> Cocoon is doing their docs now, albeit with Daisy?

Not quite.

Daisy does not write to SVN so the only way to edit the docs are via the
web interface. It does provide version control, with diffs etc. but, we
(Forrest) decided that the lack of off-line editing is a real problem.

Consequently, Forrest and Lenya intend to work together. The Lenya folk
say they can make lenya write to SVN on the back end, thus folk will be
able to choose their tool.

We (Forrest) are an XML Publishing Framework, we don't care where the
content comes from. The idea is that projects should be able to use
their preferred tools, as long as they satisfy the ASF requirements for
for traceability. Forrest will suck that content out and present it in a
unified form.

So do we care if Infra moves away to a simpler system? No, I don't think
we do, as long as the content is in an XML format we will be able to
incorporate it into the site-build tool that infra need.

Ross