incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Super Simple Site Generation Tool
Date Thu, 29 Dec 2005 14:58:45 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> On Dec 27, 2005, at 9:14 PM, David Crossley wrote:

>>> None is needed, the problem is very simple.
>>

>> The problems are not simple, or they would have been solved
>> years ago. Follow the site-dev discussions from mid-2004.
>>
>> It seems that the publishing step is the hardest. No matter
>> what the tool, that step trips people up. It seems that
>> committers just will not do it. It could perhaps be automated,
>> however the requirement to check the generated docs into
>> svn prevents that (need a committer's svn credentials).\
>

> I don't understand.  Publshing to me should be "svn commit" after I
> look at the site with my local browser as a QA step.  And yes,
> committers should be the only ones able to do it.

That is exactly what it is, when using ForrestBot (in fact you don't
even have to type "svn commit" since the tool does it for you). The
problem is that it requries SVN passwords or user interaction and so
can't be part of an automated tool.

>> Another complex issue is being able to run doc tools on Apache
>> servers. We have all been asked to not use people.apache.org
>> for that. Sure we will soon have the zones.apache.org machine
>> (currently still in testing phase). However, that is not
>> scalable. For example we don't want to run various forrest
>> instances there for everybody to use. Our project is too small
>> to be able to support other projects in that way.
>

> Why not run doc tools?  Isn't it really about which doc tool?

Because the ASF have to support the chosen tool and there are many
different site generation tools in use within the ASF (now the Incubator
is about to get its own).

See http://people.apache.org/~rgardler/site-dev/Site-Build.html

and bring any suggestions/contributions you have to the site-dev list.

Ross