incubator-general mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Growth Summary
Date Sat, 24 Dec 2005 03:13:34 GMT
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> --On December 23, 2005 12:47:26 PM -0500 Jim Jagielski <jim@jaguNET.com>
> wrote:
>
>>    Q: The Incubator controls who leaves... who controls who
>>       enters? It seems like both are needed.
>>    A: Yes, and there are controls for who enters as well.
>>       Applicants must be sponsored by a current PMC, or
>>       the board. There is currently some discussion on
>
> I thought the Board delegated the initial proposal approval of new TLP
> projects (i.e. no sponsoring PMC) to the Incubator PMC?  As a
> checkpoint, the Board will certify the *exit* of podling's TLPs after
> the Incubator certifies again.  When a project has PMC approval, the
> Incubaotr PMC alone can do the certification of exit.

It effectively works out that way.

As a current PMC, the incubator can sponsor a proposal.  In fact, the
incubator policy[1] explicitly calls out this case.

I don't expect the board to ever sponsor a project again - but then
again the board hasn't given up the right to do so.

- Sam Ruby

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Sponsor